Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Ravelstein - Saul Bellow

A wonderful book .

Abe Ravelstein, a professor with an ardent student following, writes a book on his friend's (Chick) suggestion ,that turns him a millionaire.Abreast with the politics of the great world , supplemented with his own opinions and a penchant for fancy , he asks Chick to write his biography .

Their friendship :
"We were perfectly open with each other.You could speak your mind without offending.On either side there was nothing too personal ,too shameful to be said ,nothing too nasty or criminal.I did feel at times that he was sparing me his most severe judgements if I wasn't just then ready to stand up under them.I used to spare him, too.But it gave me tremendous relief to be as plain and clear with him as I would be about myself about weak or vicious things.In self-understanding he was well ahead of me.But every personal discussion turned fimally into good ,clean nihilistic fun ."

Every bit engaging through my rocky bus ride and every now hoping my father does not find out the sambar stain on page 31 .

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

stain left by a worthy pursuit...is like the stain of your sambar on a gud book ..keep the stain and cherish like u cherish ur book..hahah.....happy reading ju..make more stains ..they r ur permanent bonds and no gud book will be long forgotten.....some times these long bumpy cruises to work can end up giving u very valuable time..

Anonymous said...

I love the stains on my books, they somehow make them infinitely more personal.

The extract was bloody brilliant, seriously, I will be looking up the book in the library ( in an effort to procratinate more ) pretty soon.

./ishaan

Anonymous said...

"that turns him a millionaire" - how grammatcally right and enjoyable. Ranjani, stop writing literary reviews, please.

Why attempt?

ahiri said...

Anon ,

I still cannot figure out what is wrong with " that turns him a millionaire" !!!???

Correct me!

ahiri said...

Oh ok i guess i misread some satire in the comment ....

why stop ?